Monday, November 17, 2008

Venitian painting........

I have been busy in the studio. I eventually finished the commissions, and after I was looking through some photographs from our trips earlier this year. Amongst them were some from venice,
This one in particular reminded me of the patterns formed by the boats, moorings and buildings along the canals. I started sketching away and after awhile I came up with the idea for this painting of the waterbus stop. I have called it 'Ghost of Venice'





This is partly due to the fact that it is an impression left by City and it's environs. It also alludes to the hazy figure within the bus station. I kept the painting very geometric in nature, relying on the shapes and patterns to make the painting, more than trying to create a representational work from a photograph.

I enjoyed the painting, and I am very happy with the result. I am now thinking of creating a small series based on my memories. I shall keep you informed.....





No comments: